Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Further thoughts and prayers on Lent from Pastor Nate

Lenten Daily Prayers: The Fourth Week

You’ll become aware (if you haven’t already), that there is a significant continuing theme of repentance and lament in the readings and prayers in this journey through Lent to Easter. Some may say

“This is depressing, and therefore something more joyful and positive should be said about the human experience.”

In response, I say, “Lent is about repentance, and in order for us to sink deeper into that repentant state of being, we need to focus on lament, on self-examination, on honesty, and if anything is to be joyous, it should focus on God as our Sustainer alone.”

Lent is a time of purging, of us shedding unnecessary burdens in order to “Seek first the kingdom of God” more consistently and clearly.

So I urge you, sit in the discomfort of examination and honesty. Resist the knee-jerk happy-clappy “Christian” music of our culture during this time, and sink into the place where God alone holds and sustains you.

The Call to Prayer
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;
ascribe to the Lord the honor due his Name;
bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;
let the whole world tremble before him
(Psalm 96:7-9)

The Cry of the Church
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us


Morning (observed on the hour or half hour between 6 and 9 am)
Lord God, almighty and everlasting Father, you have brought me safely to this new day; preserve me with your mighty power, that I may not fall into sin, nor be overcome by adversity; and in all I do direct me to the fulfilling of your purpose through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen

Prayer for the Week
O God, who before the passion of your only Son revealed his glory on the holy mountain: Grant that I, encountering by faith the light of his countenance, will be strengthened to bear my cross, and be changed into his likeness from glory to glory; through Jesus Christ my Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Midday (observed on the hour or half hour between 11 am and 2 pm)
Seek out the LORD while he is still to be found,
call to him while he is still near.
Let the wicked abandon his way and the evil one his thoughts.
Let him turn back to the LORD who will take pity on him,
to our God, for he is rich in forgiveness;
for my thoughts are not your thoughts and your ways are not my ways, declares the LORD.
For the heavens are as high above the earth
as my ways are above your ways, my thoughts above your thoughts.

Isaiah 55:6-9

Prayer for the Week (repeat from morning)

Lord’s Prayer

Evening (observed on the hour or half hour between 5 and 8 pm)

Lord, hear my prayer, and let my cry come before you;
hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Incline your ear to me; when I call, make haste to answer me.
For my days drift away like smoke, and my bones are hot as burning coals.
My heart is smitten like grass and withered, so that I forget to eat my bread.
I have become like a vulture in the wilderness, like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake and groan; I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top.

Psalm 102:1-7

Prayer for the Week

The Lord’s Prayer


As usual, the daily prayers are drawn from Phyllis Tickle’s Eastertide, Prayers for Lent through Easter from the Divine Hours

No comments: